The Old Bowl System As Deterrent

So the chairman of the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee has warned that the alternative to the BCS is not a playoff, but a return to the old bowl system.

What I think most people don’t understand is that the alternative to the current system is not a playoff. The alternative to the BCS is going back to our traditional relationship with our bowl partners.

I wish it were a promise more than a threat.  I’d love a return to the old bowl system.  It’d be wonderful.  Sorry all you playoff people, but I’m a college football traditionalist.  If you want playoffs, feel free to start watching football on Sundays.  It’ll make my favorite sports bar much less crowded when I am there on Saturday.

While we’re at it, can we bring back the real Cotton Bowl of yore?

6 Responses to The Old Bowl System As Deterrent

1. Adam Nettina July 2, 2009 at 5:34 pm #

Here Here! The bowls MUST stay. College Football is about more than the Top 8 teams in the country, and I wish these elitists would realize that.

2. The Craw July 2, 2009 at 6:04 pm #

I attended the last two Cotton Bowls (also the last 2 at the Cotton Bowl), and it’s a great stadium. I’m really mad that its moving to the new Cowboys stadium.

3. Mark July 3, 2009 at 11:47 am #

Completely and utterly agree!

4. Sam July 4, 2009 at 8:34 am #

Remember when Bowl committees were free to select the best available opponent for their host conference champion and wanted maximum prestige rather than maximum gravytrain handouts to contractual partners no matter how embarrasingly poor?

Bowls good. BCS disgrace.

5. The Craw July 5, 2009 at 1:22 pm #

I agree. we need to remove the CS from BCS. Maybe keep the championship game at the same site every year. My vote: the Cotton Bowl becomes the permanent championship game. The Cotton Bowl has been destroyed and it is owed to be the big game. Let the vote be 1/3 coaches, 1/3 AP, and 1/3 Heisman Voters. I also think that a UPI type poll should be brought that ends before the bowls so we can crown a national champion then as well.

6. AUman76 July 5, 2009 at 10:23 pm #

I’m with you on bringing back the real Cotton Bowl but I wanna see a real champion too. Don’t wanna see the Jerry Jones version of the Cotton Bowl but it appears that’s the only way the NCAA will reinstate it’s importance. Let’s face it money talks and the new digs will attracts big name schools and lot’s of fans. As for me I just as soon watch a HS game with no damn Big Screens or replays. It tends to make your memoryof events a tad more important. Not just the ESPN highlights we see a thoundsand times a day.