Blount Needs To Go

I think new Oregon coach Chip Kelly needs to kick LeGarrette Blount off the team after the running back punched Byron Hout of Boise State (who had verbally taunted Blount) at the conclusion of the Ducks’ 19-8 loss.

Blount cold-cocked Hout and then had to be restrained by teammates and coaches from going after some fans in the stands.  Just a crazy scene on the Smurf Turf at the end of that one.  (side note:  How ironic is it that former Lawrence Phillips teammate Scott Frost , now an Oregon coach, was one of the ones restraining Blount?)

So much for my prediction that Blount was on his way to a special season.  He looked uncharacteristically fat and slow out there, gaining negative 5 yards on the night.  It was almost like he was trying to sulk his way to positive yardage.  I wrote earlier that he might have a breakout night.  Who knew it would be as a boxer?

Blount could rush for 3,000 yards the rest of the way and still not win the Heisman thanks to his horrible display.

[Note:  Hey Oregon fans, the next time I tout a player of yours who is such a bad seed, could you please clue me in?  Thanks!]

Obviously a disastrous debut for Kelly as head coach at Oregon.  Now he needs to take control of his team by doing the right thing and getting rid of Blount, who is clearly a disruptive influence.  I never was high on the Ducks this year and did not have them in my preseason top 20, but I certainly didn’t think they would be this inept.

With attitudes like this, it’s no wonder.

, , , , ,

13 Responses to Blount Needs To Go

1. tokyo_cigar September 3, 2009 at 11:05 pm #

paul hackett lives! in eugene!

start looking up those buyout provisions duck fans.

2. Brent Durham September 3, 2009 at 11:37 pm #

well said

3. ~His Girl~ September 3, 2009 at 11:47 pm #

You guys are idiots. for one . I guess youv never seen a football player hit someone. but come on its not new. He’s not by any means fat or slow. He doesnt have a bad attitude it was just one time that he lost his cool. As long as iv known him.. the first time iv EVER seen him lose his cool.

Go Ducks!

Go Blount!! =]]

4. Brent Durham September 4, 2009 at 12:31 am #

It wasn’t so much his reaction to the BSU player. They had emotions running high and that happens. It was after the fact. That kid was going crazy trying to get to fans. He was nuts. Apparently this isn’t his 1st infraction either.

As for his speed. He was held to -5 yards against Boise St. . .BOISE ST. I think everybody has more respect for Boise St. than they did a few years ago, but seriously. . .Boise St. Not trying to sound like Jim Mora’s outlook on the playoffs or anything, but I don’t think anybody is going to be making comparisons between BSU and ’85 Bears at season’s end.

Not saying Blount won’t have a good season, but he just put himself on a very short leash. As a 1st year coach there will be a lot of pressure on Kelly to boot Blount if he doesn’t watch himself.

5. Anonymous September 4, 2009 at 12:32 am #

Too bad the “one time he lost his cool” is the one time he could not afford to do so. Nice going on a nationally televised game. Blount needs to learn that this is a professional setting on top of being an athletic event. Yes we’ve seen football players hit each other before, but that does not make it okay. Just because something “is not new” does not make it okay. Sorry, argument does not fly. Punching a guy for trash talk. Not okay. To make matters worse, he was giddy about it afterward. Did you see him hopping up and down as if he’d won the game? I’d like to remind him that he rushed for -5 yards. Punching out an opposing defensive end post-game doesn’t give you a W. However, the worst part of what he did tonight was the fact that he went after the fans. This is not his first year as a college football player. He should be mentally prepared for jeering from the opposing team’s fans. Are you familiar with Ron Artest? Are you familiar with what happened to him when he went after the fans while he was with the Pacers? Sure, Blount didn’t actually get to hitting the fans, but he wasn’t restrained he most certainly would have (see: Byron Hout). Get a clue “His Girl”. IMO, Blount should be kicked out of the Oregon program and also banned from playing in the NCAA for at least a year.

6. Arianna September 4, 2009 at 12:56 am #

What a beautiful hit =]

ha. the guy had it coming

7. Anonymous September 4, 2009 at 1:10 am #

Just what I was hearing from being at the game as a Boise State fan… yes, the idiot should be punished! But from what I heard and am hearing is that both Hout and fans were actually using racial slurs directed toward Blount for his “ass whoopin'” comments.

8. Jeff Turner September 4, 2009 at 4:30 am #

Send the thug packing!

9. CloroxingtheGenePool September 4, 2009 at 5:11 am #

#1 Not the first time Blount has “lost his cool”, is it? Whomever is claiming that is uninformed or lying.

#2 Blount was impotent against a defense and team that he had been trash-talking against prior to and likely during the game. I’m sure he was frustrated afterwards, and when he got it fed back to him, he went ape shit crazy, culminating in a cheap shot.

#3 And that was a cheap shot, nothing manly or tough about hitting someone not facing you. And more importantly, being upon a football field doesn’t make one above the law, which I’m sure Blount is about to find out.

#4 Will Oregon terminate his athletic scholarship, thereby showing that it has standards, or will it show that Roger Goodell needs to visit Eugene to set things right? While comprising about 3% of the student body, athletes commit about 20% of the physical assaults upon college campuses. Stop the epidemic!!!

10. Anonymous September 5, 2009 at 1:25 am #

I’m glad this incident at least allowed me to stumble upon your preseason “top” 20. BYU? Are you kidding me? You thought Blount was slow. Wait until Utah, TCU, and Oklahoma rain touchdowns on your ninth-ranked Cougars. You drew me in with your article, but managed to push me away forever just as quickly.

11. TorBear September 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm #

I’m not defending Blount’s post-game actions in the least, but his comment about UO owing BSU an ass whooping was not exactly bulletin board material as trash talking goes.

12. Locker September 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm #

good call there anonymous

13. Kerby September 9, 2009 at 3:31 am #

I know that tensions run high in football, but I think the “thug” really needs to go. What really gets to me is that Blount “sucker punched” that guy. What a coward! I have a kid who plays football and I always teach him to be a good sport win or lose. More importantly to always keep your helment on until you’re in the locker room.