First Impressions From Saturday

This ‘n that from yesterday…

—Stop me if you’ve heard this one before.  The most talented team in the country goes on the road in conference and loses to a team with less than half its talent thanks to a hopelessly inept offensive performance.   Seems like the same ‘ol, same ‘ol for USC.  Except this time I don’t think the Trojans are going to storm back and climb back up near the top of the polls as in years past.  Take a sigh of relief, Pac-10, it looks like the rebuilding year has finally arrived.  Pete Carroll is now the West Coast Jim Tressel.  He’ll be getting fitted for a sweater vest before too long.

—Seriously, everyone talks about how Tressel mismanages Terrelle Pryor.  Was Aaron Corp handled any better?  Now, he’s nowhere near Pryor talent-wise, but Corp is the first true mobile quarterback of the Pete Carroll Era and yet there was not a single designed run for the guy.  Seems odd to me.

—Great win for the Huskies, but I’m not prepared to begin the annointing of Steve Sarkisian just yet.  Sure, he beat USC with the help of a former Trojan defensive coordinator at his side.  But so did Karl Dorrell

—Well, it was a nice moral victory for Lane Kiffin not to get blown out by Florida.  I bet he’s singing Rocky Top in his head after losing by only 10 points.  Well, if he actually knew the words, I’m sure he’d be singing it.

—Both Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy looked rather pedestrian on Saturday.  We have to remember that there is a lot of pressure on those two guys.  They will need to start accumulating some numbers soon if either wants to win the Heisman.  Tebow needs more passing yards and McCoy needs to stop with the interceptions.  But as long as both teams keep winning and they don’t stink up the joint, they’ll be the favorites.

—The big winner in FSU’s romp over BYU?  Miami.  That win over the Seminoles looks a touch better now and could help the ‘Canes down the road if they are able to stay undefeated.

—I’ll reiterate what I wrote Friday:  It’s too early to call Jacory Harris a Heisman possibility.  If he can get through the gauntlet of Virginia Tech and Oklahoma in fine fashion, then we can start the engines of hypification.  Miami is one of those schools that can produce an instant Heisman candidate, but to have a legit shot to win, he’s got to bring the ‘Canes back among the national elite.  That means getting Miami into the national title conversation.  Beat Va. Tech and OU and then that talk will start.

—Impressive conference debut of the day:  Ryan Mallett of Arkansas, who threw for 408 yards and 5 touchdowns in a tough loss to Georgia.  He leads the nation in pass efficiency and looks to me like the kind of guy who could easily be the first pick in the NFL draft someday.  Hate Bobby Petrino all you want, but the man can coach offense.

—You have to feel for Jimmy Clausen.  He’s finally arrived as an elite quarterback, but the Notre Dame defense does him few favors and now Michael Floyd, the best receiver in the country (sorry Mr. Bryant), is out for the year.  Time for true freshman Shaquelle Evans to step up.

—I’ve been praising Gus Malzahn for so long here at HP and it looks like I’m not stopping any time soon.  He has the Tigers at 3-0 and among the best offensive teams in the country with basically the same personnel as last season.  I think Auburn has a real chance of starting out 7-0.  If that happens, anything is possible, right?

—My quickie top five teams (subject to revision upon further reflection):

1. Alabama 2. Florida 3. Texas 4. Miami 5. Cal

—My quickie Heisman ballot (again, subject to revision):

1. Best 2. McCoy 3. Tebow

9 Responses to First Impressions From Saturday

1. Alyson September 20, 2009 at 7:48 pm #

I’m just wondering… why NO mention of Eric Berry this week? He owned Tebow Saturday, and regardless of a Tennessee loss he was named “Player of the Game”. It’s laughable that this doesn’t get any mention here.

2. AUman76 September 20, 2009 at 8:15 pm #

3. AUman76 September 20, 2009 at 8:20 pm #

Sorry HP but UGA’s Green and Bama’s Jones are better. Can’t believe you fell for that guy against pitiful competition. Navy,Michigan and Sparty ain’t exactly great teams you do realize that don’t you? Clausen ain’t so great either. Gotta consider who he’s been playin against also. Yeah I know, I know, I despise the golden doomers and am definitely biases but also still right!

4. landryjonesstache September 21, 2009 at 6:44 am #

“Well, it was a nice moral victory for Lane Kiffin not to get blown out by Florida. I bet he’s singing Rocky Top in his head after losing by only 10 points. Well, if he actually knew the words, I’m sure he’d be singing it.”

For god’s sake just stop with the Lane Kiffin bashing every other column. The man coached the hell out of UT, making you look like an idiot for saying UF would score 70 or whatever, and your response is too bash whether or not he knows the fight song lyrics (he does, for the record). Your personal vendetta against this man makes it hard to read the other stuff on your site, which is all excellent. Ease up, man.

5. Perry September 21, 2009 at 7:00 am #

I was at the Florida-Tennessee game on Saturday and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a stadium so hostile towards one person. The situation only got worse as UF failed to dominated as expected and the atmosphere turned from turned into some crazy mix of hostility and bitter frustration. It was a weird feeling.

On another note, I can’t wait till the end of the season after USC as rolled through the PAC-10 as usual and all you’ll hear from the media is how USC is “playing as good as anyone in the country right now”.

6. Watty September 21, 2009 at 12:49 pm #

“I can’t wait till the end of the season after USC as rolled through the PAC-10…” – LOL!

Maybe you missed it, but Pac-10 play started, and USC were the ones that got ‘rolled through’ by the team that went 0-12 last year.

You’d think Saturday would have humbled the average SC fan. Nope…

7. slippy September 21, 2009 at 3:56 pm #

Coached the hell out of UT? Hardly. He had a plan to not get blown out. Didn’t trust his quarterback. Down by 2 scores with 6+ minutes to go and still didn’t take any chances until 4th down. Not to mention the offense was in no hurry and spent 4 minutes going about 40 yards.

As for the WR debate I think it’s up in the air. There’s no way you can tell a discernible difference between those guys. Similar frames and styles, can all go up and get the ball. Floyd was awesome last year when he was healthy as well, not just against bad teams. And I hate ND just as much as the next guy. Where was Green against Oklahoma St? He sure beat up on the WORST defense in the SEC this past weekend.

And no, Pete Carroll is not the West Coast Jim Tressel. I can’t stand Tressel’s offensive play calling, but he wins the games he’s supposed to. He’s certainly never lost a game when his team was favored by 40. There’s one game I can think of when he would have been favored by double digits and lost – Northwestern 2004 (and that’s a guess). Regular season losses over the past 3 seasons – 3 Rose Bowl teams. Post season losses in same span – 2 National Champions and a team many feel got stiffed for the NC.

8. Bucknut September 23, 2009 at 5:41 am #

Tressel loses the big ones, Carroll loses the small ones. Don’t know which is worse.

9. Bucknut September 23, 2009 at 8:53 am #

Just read this website about Jim Tressel. I have had this feeling that Pryor might transfer also.