Picking This Week’s Games

A promising 4-0 start last week turned into 4-5-1 and I now sit at 13-16-1 on the year with my football picks.  So take my picks at your own risk (remember I only pick the games where I see a potential play)!

Minnesota (-1) at Northwestern–Minnesota builds off a strong showing against Cal to take care of the Wildcats thanks to the Adam Weber-Eric Decker connection.

Minnesota 27, Northwestern 24

Clemson (-2.5) vs. TCU–The Tigers have looked solid from the second half of their loss to Clemson onward.  I think they keep the momentum up here provided C.J. Spiller doesn’t get hurt again.

Clemson 23, TCU 16

Rutgers (pickem) vs. Maryland–I’ve got nothing to say about this one.  I just think the Terrapins are god-awful and the Scarlet Knights handle business.

Rutgers 30, Maryland 20

Army (+10) at Iowa State–Army is much improved and I think they keep this one close enough to cover.  Arnaud pulls the Cyclones’ fat out of the fire for the win.

Iowa State 24, Army 20

Auburn (-33) vs. Ball State–The last time Ball State played a Gus Malzahn offense, it got blitzed by Tulsa, 45-13, in the 2008 GMAC bowl.  I think the Auburn version of Malzahn can improve upon that at home with more talent.

Auburn 56, Ball State 10

Arkansas (+17.5) at Alabama–As good as Alabama is, I think it will be tough to top this spread given the much-improved Razorback offense, which can score in bunches.  Arkansas gives Bama a run for its money, but loses.

Alabama 35, Arkansas 27

Georgia (-12) vs. Arizona State–The Sun Devils have feasted upon cupcakes and now must take a step up in class.  The Bulldogs are hot offensively and will keep it up against ASU.

Georgia 31, ASU 17

Stanford (-8) vs. Washington–The Huskies have a letdown after the upset over USC and Stanford wins solidly behind Andrew Luck and Toby Gerhart.

Stanford 34, Washington 23

Houston vs. Texas Tech (OVER 73.5)–This should be the weekend’s most entertaining game.  A shootout of epic proportions, with Houston coming away with the win.

Houston 49, Texas Tech 41

Navy (-30) vs. Western Kentucky–It’s going to be tough for WKU to prepare for the Navy attack and I think the Middies take advantage of this opportunity for a blowout.

Navy 49, WKU 16

7 Responses to Picking This Week’s Games

1. hmm September 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm #

not picking the cal-oregon game?

2. Ed Newman September 25, 2009 at 6:27 am #

Egads. I’m not a bettor but if I was I’d be teasing the Rutgers and Auburn games. Both Maryland and Ball State flat out stink.

3. AUman76 September 25, 2009 at 7:12 pm #

Yep Ed, my Tigers will lite it up against Ball St. Chiz and Gus let em play till the final gun. They will play a lot of kids but will still allow em to score if the subs earn it. I don’t like runnin up the score but it’s all writers and puters understand. Not doing so cost us in 2004. That won’t be the case this year or any season Chiz and Gus are in charge. If other teams don’t like it they better stop us! I just can’t wait till we have a QB better suited for this system. That will be next year though as Rollison is gonna be redshirted.

4. Roby September 26, 2009 at 9:50 am #

Hey HP, do you actually make these bets, or are they just for entertainment? If you don’t actually make the bets, and it IS just for fun, then why not pick all the games?

5. AUman76 September 26, 2009 at 8:16 pm #

Ed, better take the overs when we play too cause the defense has yet to show up. 30 points to Ball State ain’t AU football! I’ve never and I mean NEVER seen such poor tackling from an Auburn defense. Tedd Roof got some splainin to do. But member those lil footnotes if you’s a bettin man. lol

6. Ed Newman September 27, 2009 at 8:59 am #

Yep, I would have lost my tease thanks to that D. I’d be very afraid. You’re about to see much better offenses than BSU over the rest of the season.

7. AUman76 September 27, 2009 at 12:53 pm #

Let’s see GT gets ripped by Miami who in turn is ripped bt VT and both are rated. Then we have BYU rated after being shredded by a pathetic FSU which with a good catch or decent throw would’ve beaten a rated Miami. Okie St and OU both are allowed to beat wannabee’s and are rated by runnin up the score even when they give up 30 or 40 points. Iowa beats a suspect Penn St and is the new media darlin. Cal is embarrassed by Oregon? Oregon? Yet the Bears are still rated. USC loses to FN Washington who loses to Stanford and the are still in the top 10? Oh yeah they get their annual mulligan huh? dahOSU loses to a USC team that is nowhere near great and is still in the top 10? Oregon flies by the usual overrated Cal squad and now they’re to 20 material? Oh yeah baby! Nebraska has beaten who? Yet they too are rated. Ole Piss stays in the top 25 despite lookin like #2 and I ain’t talkin bout the polls. LSWho? OMG are you serious #4? They should’ve lost to Mississippi State. Yes that Miss St.! Not only did the Tiggers get lucky again they got out played from begging to end.
    Now to the point Auburn is 4-0 against all D1A, (F that other FBS shit it D1A)opponents including win over Big East WVU, a Miss St team that had #4LSU beat and a BSU team coming off a 12-2 2008 season. Yet Auburn is still not in the top #25! FUCK the system! It’s all political BULLSHIT! It’s about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and who the media wants to see in “THE GAME” at seasons end. Too bad we can’t donate our houses to the fire department like ESPN’s Herbie did then write off the $287,000 value as a donation. Then we too could rebuild a bigger better home on the same site. Humm do you really trust the intergrity of a person that would do that to a perfectly fine house just to get a tax break? He votes on who plays for the BCS Title so his charicter is in play at all times. Just goes to show you what type people run the show in every phase od college sports. They are out for what’s best for themselves and the teams in their area or that will bring the highest TV ratings so……they can make even more money! The system is as broken and currupt as the folks runnin it! Rant over and the whole MF’in sysytem can kiss my ass and go to hell! Next time I’ll tell y’all how I really feel. lol