Gameday At Chestnut Hill

Why?

You’ve got Miami-Oklahoma, USC-Cal, LSU-Georgia…why go to BC-FSU?

Makes no sense to me.

7 Responses to Gameday At Chestnut Hill

1. John October 1, 2009 at 1:40 pm #

Explained here: http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2009/09/real-story-behind-espns-gameday.html

2. Brian October 1, 2009 at 2:22 pm #

They likely will be at Florida-LSU next week, and Oklahoma-Texas the week after that. They already did Ohio St.-USC. So I think it’s pretty clear why they wanted to avoid a game with any of those teams, especially since those teams have lots of compelling matchups.

The question is, of the lesser games, why pick FSU-BC? It turns out, there are not very many games featuring even two competitive teams. I would have liked to see Michigan at Michigan St. (good public school campus, interesting story lines), although they did the Big 10 last week. I also would have liked to see Washington at Notre Dame since the only other interesting game at Notre Dame (USC) falls on the same weekend as Texas-Oklahoma.

3. Balla October 1, 2009 at 3:56 pm #

I think it’s because they’re doing a gold-out at BC to raise cancer awareness because of Mark Herzlich

4. JOSEF October 1, 2009 at 6:57 pm #

THIS IS BS. I WAS TOTALLY PREPARED TO SEE THEM PREVIEW MY CAL BEARS. I know Cal got their asses handed to them by Oregon, and USC lost, but this is still a top 25 game. I am infuriated. College Football Gameday won’t come back to Cal for years(well, until Oregon/USC come to town).

5. Anonymous October 1, 2009 at 7:29 pm #

Travel costs… even ESPN has been hit by the recession.

6. Roby October 1, 2009 at 8:34 pm #

I can’t see ESPN choosing a location based on a cancer awareness event.

Oklahoma @ Miami would SEEM like a good place to choose. They haven’t been to Miami in a while. UM is moving back towards national prominence. They are both ranked. It is a renewal of a great 80’s rivalry (Miami won three straight years, twice crushing OU’s title hopes in the process, one of those games was the ’87 Orange Bowl for the Championship).

The biggest reason I think they are not going to Miami is because the atmosphere is absolutely terrible. UM doesn’t sell out the upper deck in Joe Robbie Stadium (Land Shark Field or whatever such nonsense it goes by now). Miami is not a college town. The stadium is a good 20 miles from the campus which has a miniscule 15,000 undergrads. A place like Gainesville (50,000 undergrads, with a stadium on campus, tailgators starting at 7 am)is the kind of atmosphere Gameday gravitates towards. Gameday starts at 10 am. In Miami, for an 8pm game, there will be maybe 30 people at the stadium at 10am. Instead of screaming fans in the background, you will overhear people’s phone conversations. Hosting Gameday in Miami would be a pathetic site for ESPN viewers.

Gameday belongs in a college town atmosphere. Miami is nothing close to it.

7. Roby October 1, 2009 at 8:51 pm #

I look dumb now. I should have read that link that John posted.