HP’s Top 10 Teams

10. Oregon

On the cusp: Iowa, Notre Dame, Auburn, TCU, Nebraska

9 Responses to HP’s Top 10 Teams

1. CloroxingTheGenePool October 11, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

Where’s LSU?

2. ross October 11, 2009 at 3:35 pm #

Heh, Obviously LSU is worse than the Auburn team that got demolished by Arkansas. I also think people are jumping back on the Miami bandwagon waaaay too fast.

3. HP October 11, 2009 at 4:23 pm #

I’m not impressed by LSU this year. Struggled with Mississippi State, barely beat a bad Georgia team, didn’t look too hot against Washington and then could only muster 3 points at home against Fla. I think Auburn would beat them.

4. ross October 11, 2009 at 7:50 pm #

We’ll see in a couple of weeks I guess. Personally, I think it might get ugly for the visiting Tigers in Baton Rouge

5. Wil October 12, 2009 at 10:13 am #

Auburn and LSU are both over-rated, Georgia is horrible and Alabama is the best team in the country right now.

6. Anonymous October 12, 2009 at 2:29 pm #

LSU’s offense (or lack thereof) is absolutely anemic. Was the Raiders version of JaMarcus Russell out there running the show on saturday? What a boring game.

7. Matt October 12, 2009 at 5:40 pm #

I don’t think I buy Texas behind VT. Alabama and Florida definitely look like more complete teams than Texas at this junctur. Texas has frequently been ugly on offense due to some mediocre line play, but Virginia Tech on the other hand has been ugly on offense for about 10 years now. Ultimately I’m gonna take Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley over whatever the hokies have without thinking much.

Both teams are very good on defense and special teams, but I would definitely not secede a clear advantage to VT in either area. Texas is 4th in total D and 16th in scoring (with literally about half the points being the offense’s fault.) VT is 35th and 26th respectively. On special teams Texas had 5 TDs (2 punt returns, 2 kickoffs, and 1 punt block) while VT has 2.

I’m not sure I see any area where VT is clearly better (talent level, coaching, recent history, etc.)

8. Anonymous October 13, 2009 at 2:23 pm #

I agree with Matt. No way Texas is worse than VT. The Texas D has been lights out, and the offense has shown that when it is in rhythm it is quite unstoppable, when Colt and Jordan are clicking, not even Florida’s D could stop them.
    I am a huge Texas follower and fan, and have seen a few games in person. At those games it has been my observation (as well as many, many others) that the lack of offensive production is due to the lack of a consistent running game and at times bad protection. Combine those two with the fact that this is one of the most talented and experienced O-Lines in the country leads me to believe the playcalling and blocking scheme of Texas’ offensive coordinator, Greg Davis, who is despised by many Texas followers, are texas’ offensive downfall. The running backs and lineman are definitely talented enough to be consistently good with flashes of brilliance at times, but play sub-par almost every game due to the zone blocking scheme that texas runs. the lineman are big, tough, scrappy guys that should be playing in a man to man scheme.

9. Brenden October 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm #

I have a question…who has Texas played? Statistics don’t mean anything unless you accumulate them against quality teams. VT has beaten the then(and now) ranked #9 Miami(who by the way already beat that team Texas seems to make such a big deal about every year) and also escaped a very good Nebraska team. VT did lose to the best team in the country(Alabama) but at least they play good teams. Texas hasn’t proved anything except they can struggle against a 1-4 Colorado team