Here is the latest in our series of Heisman candidate testimonials, courtesy of Houston Sports Information:
* Currently is #1 in the Football Bowl Subdivision in total offense (399.71 ypg.) and passing yardage per game (390.57 ypg.), outdistancing himself from the runner up by 62 yards (total offense) and 36 yards (passing), respectively.
* Has posted the top single-game numbers in 2009 in total offense (544 yards), total plays (79), passing yards (536), pass completions (51), and pass attempts (76).
* Tied an NCAA record for most pass attempts in a game (76) without an interception (vs. UTEP on Oct. 3.)
* Has led team to wins over three BCS AQ schools in three attempts (Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Mississippi State), the only non-AQ quarterback to achieve this in 2009 and only the fourth non-AQ quarterback to accomplish
this since the BCS was created.
* Led the Cougars to a road upset over #5 Oklahoma State, the first Houston win over a Top 5 team since a 29-15 win over #3 Texas in Austin in 1984.
* Led the Cougars to two fourth-quarter wins over both Texas Tech at home and Mississippi State on the road.
* Triggers the nation’s top offense (536.6 ypg.) yet team has only eight turnovers in seven games.
* Is the current FBS Active Career Passing Yards Per Game (303.4 ypg.) and Career Total Yards Per Game Leader (324.5 ypg.)
* Has a 5-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio this season and over a 3-to-1 career ratio.
* Has a career average of 2.36 touchdown passes per game, topped only by Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford (2.84.)