HP’s Top 10 Teams

Light posting today as I am still recoving from last night’s Halloween Party.

Here are the top 10 teams for this week:

1. Florida

2. Texas

3. Alabama

4. Oregon

5. TCU

6. Cincinnati

7. Boise State

8. Georgia Tech

9. LSU

10. Iowa

On the cusp: Miami, Notre Dame, USC, Arizona, Ohio State

16 Responses to HP’s Top 10 Teams

1. Nevaduck November 1, 2009 at 3:23 pm #

Right call putting Oregon over Boise. They wasted any goodwill they had by scheduling UC Davis and Bowling Green.

2. Jonathan November 1, 2009 at 3:38 pm #

I’m glad Texas is back in the top 2. That defense on Saturday was absolutely dominant.

3. Bucknut November 1, 2009 at 3:56 pm #

Can’t put Boise over Oregon. Not when Boise beat them the 1st game of the season.

4. Bucknut November 1, 2009 at 3:57 pm #

I mean put Oregon over Boise ridiculous

5. Whooper November 1, 2009 at 4:52 pm #

HP, agree for the mos part except for Oregon over Boise and Notre Dame on the cusp. Seriously? They play no one and lose to any good team they play. Maybe they should be on the cusp of the top 25 but not top 10.

6. slippy November 1, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

I’d hardly say Texas’ defense was dominant. They got plenty of help from OSU receivers dropping passes. And one ridiculous call that kept the UT offense on the field.

Bucknut ’1st game of the season’ is all you had to say. Oregon is a completely different team now and have beat 3 currently ranked teams by a combined 140-47. BSU beat Oregon at home. That’s all of their quality wins this year. BSU has only played 2 teams with a winning record. They don’t deserve to be ranked in the top 5. You can’t honestly tell me if BSU played any of those teams on that top 10 tomorrow they would win.

7. starkweather November 1, 2009 at 6:02 pm #

@ slippy: Boise beat Oregon so it isn’t that hard to say they’d beat them. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say they could beat Cincinnati (even though I would take UC in a bet), Ga Tech (I’d take Boise), Texas (Big XII is wildly overrated and Boise’s biggest historical moment is a win over a wildly overrated Big XII team), TCU (how many people commenting have actually watched a TCU game?), Iowa (is it a stretch to say any team in the country might beat Iowa on any given Saturday?), and LSU (worst QB in the top 10, constant candidate for single-game meltdown). So that’s 7 of the other 9 in the top 10. A lot of times people get caught up in the #s in front of them and forget to actually watch the games to form an opinion. I’m not saying BSU “deserves” the #3 spot, but they have earned a ranking at least higher than Oregon. Undefeated + beat the other team in the argument = higher ranking. This equation will always hold true. If Oregon could beat Boise in some type of playoff system (see every other team sport in existence for possible examples) then I could see a defense of having Oregon favored in the game but BSU would still have to hold the higher seed. Because of logic and all.

8. Heismanpundit November 1, 2009 at 6:38 pm #

Even though Boise beat Oregon, I believe Oregon would win if the two teams played now.

This ranking is a power ranking that gauges how a team is playing NOW.

9. Bucknut November 1, 2009 at 7:46 pm #

All I can hope is that Boise, Cincinnati, TCU, Texas, and Florida will stay undefeated. Prove how much chaos this BCS is in. I reserve putting Iowa or Alabama in the conversation cuz their chances of remaining undefeated are slim.

10. sandymex November 2, 2009 at 7:10 am #

6-2 USC is 3 spots behind undefeated Iowa? You’ve got to go back over 10 years to find a worse loss! But I’m sure Matt Barkley will be bragging about himself again by midweek.

6-2 Arizona is 4 spots behind undefeated Iowa?

7-1 Oregon is #4?

Does anyone else see a trend here?

11. Johnny November 2, 2009 at 8:32 am #

I’m guessing having Florida #1 is a make-up call for having them #4 this week.

12. Johnny November 2, 2009 at 8:33 am #

I meant #4 last week, whoops.

13. Bucknut November 2, 2009 at 12:06 pm #

HP you are biased with your PAC 10. See I can admit the BIG 10 is down in a big way. How are you any different from any SEC fan?

14. Ed Newman November 2, 2009 at 3:07 pm #

Bucknut,

Here’s the big problem: every BCS league seems to be down this year. I don’t think that is mathematically possible but consider:

Big 12: no doubt it is down
    ACC: GA Tech and who? down.
    Big 10: looks down, but might be even overall with previous few years.
    Big East: same as big ten
    SEC: top two are good but overall looks down even according to SEC fans.
    PAC 10: USC is down for sure. Oregon is up. Who really knows about the rest? The league was 6-0 in bowl games last season. Nowhere to go but down.

So the perception is definitely off base on one or more of the conferences. Which ones? Are all the conferences converging to the middle this year?

15. Andy November 3, 2009 at 6:09 am #

What has Oregon done out of conference? One loss and two squeakers…humm The only teams they’ve pummeled are the PAC10

16. Bucknut November 3, 2009 at 9:41 am #

I can agree with you Ed. There’s really no standout team let alone a standout player dominating the heisman race