Tebow Says Goodbye

He’s not going to win the Heisman this year, but Tim Tebow still has a chance to go out as one of the greatest players in college football history.

10 Responses to Tebow Says Goodbye

1. sandymex November 26, 2009 at 9:40 am #

HP -

I don’t think Tebow is the leader, but it’s pretty insulting for you to say he’s completely out of the race and not even list his remarkable accomplishments and honors like you did for Ingram and McCoy. This is the stuff that makes folks think you’re not a pundit, but an advocate.

This is an unusual race. I don’t believe the three major candidates have ever before played for undefeated teams ranked 1-2-3 in the polls with defenses ranked 1-2-3 in the nation. That puts more importance on how the teams do against each other (December 5th) and how they finish the season.

2. HP November 26, 2009 at 12:08 pm #

1. It shouldn’t insult you to say he won’t win. It is just the reality. There are thousands of other college football players who also won’t win the Heisman and it is not degrading to them to say so.

2. I posted McCoy’s accomplishments because Texas sent them out as a campaign. I have not posted Ingram’s (as you write) nor Tebow’s because neither has sent them to me.

As for Tebow, I’ve spent three years extolling the guy, but this just isn’t his year as far as the Heisman goes. I think you need to stop being so sensitive.

3. CM November 26, 2009 at 7:56 pm #

“Tim Tebow still has a chance to go out as one of the greatest players in college football history.”

True statement. I think he has been an incredible ambassador to the sport and has been an incredible role model. I think in the next few weeks we will see him break a few more school / SEC records that will establish his stance of one of the greats.

That being said, this is not his year to win the heisman, and I think even Tim would admit that. I doubt he even votes for himself.

You can never say he didn’t try, that he ever gave up, or that he didn’t will his team to do better, but what he didn’t do this season was put up the numbers we saw in 07’ or the rallying we saw at the tail end of 08’.

In order for Tim to win a second Heisman he needed to be more than Superman and we all know that’s nearly impossible. If he finishes strong in his homecoming game and dominates in the SEC championship and gets the gators to a 3rd Championship game, he will make top 3, but explain to me how he wins?

As much of a Gators fan and Tebow fan that I am, this is not a career achievement award, this is best individual player. I think this is Ingrams to lose.

HP has anyone ever been nominated for the Heisman 3 years in a row?

4. Heismanpundit November 26, 2009 at 9:53 pm #

there is no Heisman nomination process. Technically, everyone is eligible.

If you are talking about trips to NYC, if Tebow makes it back he will join Herschel Walker as a three-time heisman ceremony participant.

5. Truth November 27, 2009 at 7:53 pm #

Big Gator fan here and don’t think Tebow should win the Heisman unless he has an incredible two games ahead of him (and then I’d say he’s worthy but not clear cut). Glad Ingram didn’t do well today as I think McCoy is more worthy as a Sr and as THE leader of that offense, where as Ingram doesn’t seem to be quite as important at Bama – the O-line might be the real key to that offense.

Here’s to a great finish for CFB – more good games.

6. Anonymous November 27, 2009 at 7:54 pm #

Tebow already is one of the greatest players to play CFB.

7. CD November 28, 2009 at 11:45 pm #

there is no Heisman nomination process. Technically, everyone is eligible.

8. sandymex November 29, 2009 at 2:15 am #

HP -

All eyes will be on Atlanta next week. Are you really saying that IF the Gators beat Alabama and Texas loses to Nebraska you’d still refuse to put Tebow ahead of Ingram and McCoy?

If McCoy fails to win his conference for a 4th consecutive year he will not win the Heisman. He could drop with a bad performance in a win since he played so poorly against Oklahoma’s #33 defense (the only other decent pass defense he faced all year).

9. susan November 30, 2009 at 11:24 am #

If, like most intelligent college footballs fans say, “Tim Tebow is the best college football player there ever was”, is true. Then why would he not be the receipient of another Heisman Trophy? What possible reason could there be? If Colt McCoy played in a tougher conference and he was the kind of consumate leader that Tim Tebow is, then I would understand. That is not the case. If Tim Tebow doesn’t win this year, then the Heisman award is not what everyone wants to believe it is. What a shame that would be.

10. Tim November 30, 2009 at 4:23 pm #

Big Florida fan here.

No intelligent commentator says Tebow is the best player there ever was. Some say he may be the greatest ever, some say he is among the greatest ever. But greatest and best are not the same thing. To me, greatness is tied up with how your teams fared, how dominant you were in your era, what you may have done to advance the sport. Greatness is associated with teams and records and championships, but is not something a person can necessarily achieve on their own. Being the best is something different — it has more to do with your individual skill and accomplishments. Tebow was not “better” than Percy Harvin, in my opinion. But he was/is greater.

Either way, the Heisman goes to the “most outstanding” player in a given season, and Tebow has not been the most outstanding this season. If he were not already famous, he would not be getting consideration for the award this year. But, God bless him, I wouldn’t trade him for any other player.