The 2010 HP Preseason All-American Team — Offense

With the season upon us, it’s time for me to reveal the the 2010 edition of the very prestigious HP All-American team.

First, the offense:

Quarterback

1st team: Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

2nd team: Kellen Moore, Boise State

3rd team: Case Keenum, Houston

Honorable Mention: Terrelle Pryor, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Jacory Harris, Andy Dalton, Jerrod Johnson, Andrew Luck

Comments: There are a ton of great candidates for this position, but I think Mallett is poised to have the best season of the bunch.  A 4,000-yard, 40 TD season is not out of the question given that he played so well last year and he is now in his third year in the system.  Moore is as savvy as they come and his numbers are incredible, while Keenum is simply the most productive quarterback in NCAA history.

Running Back

1st team: Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech

2nd team: Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State

3rd team: John Clay, Wisconsin

Honorable Mention: Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Daniel Thomas, Noel Devine, Donald Buckram, LaMichael James, Trent Richardson

Comments: I think Williams is the most talented back in the country and he should have another huge year as a sophomore.  Rodgers is as versatile as they come, while Clay could be the best Badger back since Ron Dayne.

Fullback

1st team: Owen Marecic, Stanford

2nd team: Stanley Havili, USC

3rd team: Charles Clay, Tulsa

Comments:  We like to pick an All-American fullback here at HP since it is a position on offense in football.  Marecic is a classic fullback, a ferocious blocker who will play linebacker as well.  Havili has been catching and running with the best of them for what seems like 10 years now.  Clay does it all for Tulsa.

Wide Receivers

1st team: Michael Floyd, Notre Dame; A.J. Green, Georgia

2nd team: James Rodgers, Oregon State; Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

3rd team: Alshon Jeffrey, S. C.; Julio Jones, Alabama

Honorable Mention: DeVier Posey, Jon Baldwin, Darvin Adams, Austin Pettis, Vidal Hazelton, Nelson Rosario, Joe Adams, Terrance Toliver, Leonard Hankerson, Jimmy Young, James Cleveland

Comments: When healthy, Floyd is a dominant college wide receiver.  He just physically overpowers opposing defensive backs.  A.J. Green has size, speed and great athleticism and is on his way to being a first round pick.  This could be the year of the big receiver.

Tight End

1st team: Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame

2nd team: Weslye Saunders, South Carolina

3rd team: D.J. Williams, Arkansas

Honorable Mention: Luke Stocker, Charlie Gantt, Anthony Miller, Ben Guidugli, Orson Charles

Comments: Rudolph is a fantastic receiver who moves amazingly well for a guy his size.  Same can be said for Saunders, but who knows if or when he will play this year due to suspension?  Williams is an undersize guy who can really run after the catch.

Offensive Line Unit

1st team: Wisconsin

2nd team: Georgia

3rd team: Florida State

Honorable Mention: Ohio State, Stanford, Florida, Alabama, TCU, Boise State

Comments:  HP always picks a line unit as opposed to individuals since the idea of knowing the best lineman is a major crap shoot.  But the Badgers return all five starters from their unit and they’ll be well-versed in their system.  Georgia returns 155 career starts according to Phil Steele, and Florida State also returns all five starters and should be vastly improved.

We’ll have the defensive All-Americans tomorrow…stay tuned.

, , , , ,

17 Responses to The 2010 HP Preseason All-American Team — Offense

1. Dawgy September 1, 2010 at 6:49 am #

Take a look at Georgia’s tight ends this year. Two of the best you will see.

• Heismanpundit September 1, 2010 at 10:44 am #

YOu are right. I forgot about Orson Charles. Gonna fix that.

2. Anonymous September 1, 2010 at 9:26 am #

I’m a little intrigued. I believe this is the second time I’ve seen Joe Adams mentioned in one of your articles which prompts me to wonder: what is your opinion of Greg Childs? Considering that Childs is really “the #1″ on Arkansas’ squad, is there something you see in him that leads you to place Joe in front of him?

• Heismanpundit September 1, 2010 at 11:56 pm #

On Adams–I think he’s better! Quicker, better with ball in hands.

3. Ed Newman September 1, 2010 at 10:30 am #

There is a major logical fallacy here. You can’t have Terrelle Pryor as your #1 Heisman Watch candidate and your #1 (now that Ingram is hurt) Heisman poll vote getter and then have him #4 on your list of All-American QBs. Unless I misunderstand this preseason list and it is NOT a prediction of the year end All Americans(and if so then why have it?) then all three of these QBs should be ahead of Pryor on your Watch list.

Or are you saying that Pryor will win the Heisman but not even be third team All-American?

• Heismanpundit September 1, 2010 at 10:44 am #

This is what I think of the players and how they will do.

My Heisman Watch is the guys who have the best SHOT of winning the Heisman.

4. Ed Newman September 1, 2010 at 11:26 am #

But if you don’t think Terrelle Pryor is even an All American, how can you say he has the BEST SHOT at winning the Heisman?

5. Ed Newman September 1, 2010 at 11:30 am #

I can guarantee this: if Pryor is not at least a third team All American he WON’T win the Heisman. Perhaps THAT should be a Heismandment.

6. HP September 1, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

Let me clarify.

If Terrell Pryor has a great season, he will win the heisman and be an AA. No doubt.

This is my preseason list of who I think the best players will be at each position. Just because I think Pryor has the best SHOT at winning does not necessarily think it is going to HAPPEN.

7. Ed Newman September 1, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

Doesn’t having the best chance to win the Heisman HAVE to factor in the likelihood of having the kind of season to warrant a Heisman? And doesn’t this factor HAVE to be a dominant factor in the weighting?

If your watch is merely the paint by numbers approach to who is best set up to win then how about predicting who will actually win!

You can immediately disqualify any of your third teamers or honorable mention All Americans because the Heisman has never come from a third teamer. And if you choose a second teamer than you are going out a huge limb because its only happened twice (Only Weinke and Hornung weren’t consensus first team all americans in the year they won). So pretty much its either Ryan Williams (another sophomore) or Ryan Mallett, or AJ Green or Michael Floyd, right?

8. Not Anon September 1, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

Let me try to help you out Ed.

If Terrelle Pryor has a great season that is worthy of All-American status, he will win the Heisman, no questions asked.

Kellen Moore, however, could have one of the greatest statistical seasons for a QB in football history, yet still not win the Heisman.

As one can infer from these teams, HP does not think that Pryor will have the type of season necessary to win the Heisman–but he thinks that Pryor has a better chance of having a Heisman-winning season than anyone else.

9. AUman76 September 1, 2010 at 9:50 pm #

Pryor isn’t even a top 10 QB much less a Heisman worthy player and the stats he posts prove it. He’s like the last daOSU QB to win the trophy, he’s an overrated, hyped up name, on a glamour team, in the heart of voter heaven and that’s all he is. He’s not a difference maker and never will be for the bucknuts. He will not play QB at the next level either cause he doesn’t have the tools to be an NFL QB. My Tigers have 3 QB’s better than daOSU’s TP. Hell…even mack-a-roy from bammer is a better field general and he has no real attributes other than playin behind a pretty good line and a defense that covered his ass when he screwed up. Damn…can’t believe I even gave a bammer credit for anythang but that should tell you just how average Pryor is at this level. As bad as Michigan is at least their new QB will excell against such a week defensive conference. Oh well…I ain’t from north of the Mason-Dixion Line so whatta I know, huh? lol

10. Ed Newman September 2, 2010 at 6:34 am #

Thanks Not Anon, but I get what HP said. He has the highest probability, yada, yada, yada.

It’s Fine. Lame but fine. Here is where he is boxing himself into a corner: Heisman winners are ALWAYS All Americans. Heisman Winners are almost always QBs or RBs (with the rare WR/KR thrown in). So by declaring his All Americans above he is saying that in his mind that “the Ryans” (Mathews and Mallett) are co-favorites to win the Heisman. I’d like to hear him state this on the record.

And for the record, I don’t think TP will win the award either. But I don’t think he has the BEST CHANCE because he is unlikely to be consistent enough to win. His best games will be worthy but he’ll have a stinker or two thrown in that will submarine his chances. But he is still better than any QB in the state of Alabamee.

• Heismanpundit September 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm #

I’m not sure why you don’t see the difference between ‘having the best chance’ and ‘who is going to win’.

I have no idea at this point who is going to win the Heisman this year. I analyze the race as it occurs and sometimes it takes a while for things to become clear.

My HP Watch is the guys who enter the season with the best natural advantages in the Heisman race. That does not mean that no one else can emerge. It is NOT a prediction of who will win. I always wait until a certain point in the season to make that prediction, never at the beginning.

My All-American list is more a prediction of how I see certain players playing so, yes, I guess you can surmise by my picks that I don’t think Pryor is going to be the Heisman winner. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the best shot going in. It’s like looking at a team’s schedule and talent level and projecting them to be No. 1…that team doesn’t always finish the job.

11. Ed Newman September 2, 2010 at 6:38 am #

That should be “(Williams or Mallett)” above. Too many damn Ryans in football these days.

12. Ed Newman September 2, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

I see the difference. You take your Heismandments, apply them to returning players and rank the contenders. It seems to me a pretty rote exercise given your strict allegiance to the Heismandments. It’s actually not very interesting. Most anyone could do follow the procedure if they refuse to take probability and judgment into account. You could write a pretty simple program to do it. It would be much more interesting if you took the heismandments as a starting point and then applied a little perception and personal opinion to it for the Watch, but you’ve inferred with your last comment that this just isn’t your bag.

But whether you realize/admit it or not, you haven’t just inferred that TP won’t win the Heisman, you’ve also inferred that one of the 4 guys I mentioned WILL win the Heisman. You might as well just come out and make the prediction formally.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The 2010 HP Preseason All-American Team — Defense | Heismanpundit - September 2, 2010

[...] did the offense yesterday, now for the defensive HP preseason All-Americans.  The season is nigh, so no [...]