Hypothetical Heisman Scenario

What if Cameron Newton was declared to be ineligible at some point before the Heisman vote is due?  Who would win without Newton in the race?

This is what I’m trying to figure out.  My best sense is that it would be a dogfight between Kellen Moore and LaMichael James.

Stay tuned.

8 Responses to Hypothetical Heisman Scenario

1. DBC November 20, 2010 at 8:07 pm #

Chris, I agree that James should have been suspended for more than one game, but this site has a west coast slant. If the Heisman Pundit wants to ignore certain scandals while focusing on others, that’s his prerogative. If you rule out James you probably have to rule out Newton as well. I know this much, I wouldn’t want to defend one vote over the other in December. Moore, Robinson or Luck are good choices that avoid the controversy.

• Heismanpundit November 20, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

This is ridiculous. I analyze the race as it is, not how it should be. Right now, there is zero discussion of the James issue with regards to the Heisman. There is a ton of it regarding Newton’s issue. I analyze the race, not try to influence it. It is not my job to decide who is eligible or not.

And, James’ issue has nothing to do with NCAA eligibility, which is the core of the Newton thing.

2. Travis November 21, 2010 at 9:50 am #

HeismanPundit is right, the James situation and the Newton situation are two totally different situations in regards to the Heisman race.

While what James did was horribly wrong, but it was not an NCAA infraction that could invalidate his eligibility.

The Newton scandal includes several violations that, if found to be true, would rule Cam Newton ineligible for the current season, ending Auburns National Title chase, Newton’s Heisman candidacy, and more importantly his college career.

One more thing, Florida will be back in the National Title chase next season. Watch for them to win like they did in 2006, close games with a stout defense.
    GO GATORS!!!!!

GO GATORS!!!!!!!

3. Chris November 21, 2010 at 10:58 am #

Travis -

I appreciate your comments, and agree that the James assault and the Newton allegations are different. But both are relevant to the Heisman.

Matt Bianchi called for Chris Rainey to be kicked off the team even as he voted for Lamichael James. Why? Because he didn’t know about James’ arrest on more serious charges. After Bianchi found out he felt the one-game suspension was inadequate and such actions weren’t in keeping with the “integrity” of the Heisman.

And I’m not promoting Newton, just asking for consistency in treatment of off-the-field problems. I understand voters who leave both players off their ballot.

4. HP November 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Chris, I’ve written about Newton because it is what is being discussed with regards to the Heisman race. I have only discussed Newton’s situation in the context of how it affects the race. I have not taken a moral judgement on his situation. And, again, if the James situation becomes a factor in the race, I will talk about it. But it is not a factor right now. You want me to make it a factor, but it is not my job to do so.

But let’s get down to the reality of this. The only reason you are spamming this site and other sites with info about James is because you are trying to do so in defense of Newton. You barely cared about the James situation until Newton’s situation came along. That makes you a hypocrite.

Please stop spamming my site with this tripe. I am on to your game.

5. Travis November 21, 2010 at 7:59 pm #

Chris,

I believe that we are all arguing about semantics. HP is not condoning domestic violence in any situation. I feel, and please let me know if I am wrong, is that you are considering moral character as one of the requirements for the Heisman. While I am not disagreeing with you (and HP’s own Heismandments do the same), this isn’t what Hp is talking about in this article.

HP, please correct me if I am wrong, but you put this article up in case the NCAA finds Newton ineligible for the 2010 season for violating NCAA sanctions. If that happens, who would then be the front runner for the Heisman under the current climate (minus Cam Newton).

I just feel that both Chris and HP are arguing about two different topics.

• Heismanpundit November 21, 2010 at 11:37 pm #

Yes. This guy Chris–most likely not his real name–has been on a vendetta against this site for the entire season. Only when Newton got caught up in scandal did he decide to become indignant over the James incident. Before that? Not a peep. This is just a way for him to try to indict my motives, even though my motives are clear: To analyze the reality of the race.

6. Travis November 22, 2010 at 7:46 am #

Chris,

My name is Travis, not Trevor. That’s like me calling you Colin. It’s two totally different names.

While you are right that both are relevant to the Heisman in terms of voting, one has become more than the other. Have you heard anything from ESPN, ABC, CBS, FOXSPORTS, or any of the other big sports news networks about the James situation? I haven’t. The only place that I have heard about it was here on HeismanPundit’s website.

If major news networks aren’t talking about it, then the voters aren’t going to be factoring it in. HP knows this and that is why he writing it this way. You talk about a lack of consistency, but the Heisman race and Heisman voters aren’t constant. It fluctuates week to week.

If you don’t understand that HP acts only as a weatherman and forecasts the current climate and what might happen, and not dictate what happens, then this probably isn’t the site for you.