HP’s Top 10 Teams

8. Ohio State

9. Arkansas

10. Texas A&M

On the cusp: Virginia Tech, Nebraska, Michigan State, LSU, Alabama

11 Responses to HP’s Top 10 Teams

1. ChrisRo November 22, 2010 at 5:31 am #

I do not understand how TCU and Boise State can be ranked ahead of Oregon. Especially TCU. Oregon beat your #5 team and has played by far a tougher schedule than either, and if Auburn wins the next two there is no doubt they and Oregon should be 1 and 2 respectively.

2. John November 22, 2010 at 7:51 am #

I am not sure I understand your thinking here – Have Boise State or TCU beaten anyone else in your top ten? How about your top 15? (I am assuming your on the cusp teams would be your next 5)

Question – If you had to rank the top 50 teams – how far down that list would you have to go for quality wins from your top two?

Oregon beat your #5 team and Auburn has beaten your #9 and #14 teams. Although I love the underdogs and think TCU and Boise are a lot of fun to watch – it looks like to me you are just trying to stir stuff up.

Oregon and Auburn should be 1 and 2. TCU 3rd and I would even put Stanford and Wisconsin over Boise.

I’d love to see Arkansas play Boise. They would crush them.

• Heismanpundit November 22, 2010 at 9:40 am #

3. Floridan November 22, 2010 at 8:42 am #

Thank you for bringing a smile to my face on a Monday morning. Great humor.

4. Floridan November 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

Here’s a little mind exercise. Take your top ten plus “on the cusp” teams and add one more — let’s say Oklahoma.

Now set up a playoff with those teams. Would the smart money bet on BSU coming out on top? Remember, the Broncos have never played four tough games in a row. Have they ever played two powerhouse teams, back to back?

• Heismanpundit November 22, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

But college football doesn’t have a playoff.

5. John November 22, 2010 at 2:46 pm #

“It’s really simple. I think those teams would beat the teams ranked below it if they played right now.”

You really do your self a disservice when you say things like this. Any reputable person has to have something to back up their rankings. Otherwise you are just a fan.

Bottom line is you can’t really know what those two teams will do. Really fun to watch but I can’t agree with someone saying that two unproven teams are better then those that have proved it.

I hear a lot of people say put Boise in the SEC and see what they would do. But how swap Auburn and Boise. Auburn would crush everyone on that schedule. Hands down. And there def would look great. They would not in my eyes be the same team as they are now.

I think you have to rank them high to give them some props – but to get top two you have to prove it.

6. John November 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

FYI – I love the site and I am not trying to sound to negative.

Part of me really would like a playoff but I am not sure I would like it longterm. What is wrong with just saying like we did in the old days – we have two national champions?

7. Daniel November 22, 2010 at 4:01 pm #

I agree with the top 5. I think Boise is the most complete team in the country. Great passing game, great running game, great defense, and very physical.

They’re the best two teams, and a lot of people don’t want to recognize it because it’s not the status quo.

8. Alex November 22, 2010 at 8:20 pm #

No, a lot of people don’t see it because they haven’t been tested like Auburn, and to a lesser extent, Oregon. You have to think Auburn is one of the luckiest teams out there to beat so many good teams. Just a few bad breaks can cost someone a game. The fact that Auburn has gone through so many tough opponents tells us a lot more than Boise dominating mediocre competition.

9. Jeff November 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

A Couple of facts you might consider regarding the Oregon vs Boise rankings.

1) LMJ #21 averaged 11 yards a carry VS BSU (Kelly only let him touch the ball twice)

2) Darron Thomas, current quarterback had 3 touchdown passes vs BSU in the one quarter Kelly let him play)

LMJ and Thomas will play all 4 quarters. While Boise may be the same team, the two guys on the Ducks that touch the ball 100% of the time are much different.