The 2010 HP All-American Team: Offense

It’s time for the seventh annual edition of the very prestigious HP All-American team.  First, the offense:

Quarterback

1st team: Cameron Newton, Auburn

2nd team: Andrew Luck, Stanford

3rd team: Denard Robinson, Michigan

Honorable Mention:
Kellen Moore, Boise State
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
Andy Dalton, TCU
Darron Thomas, Oregon
Tyrod Taylor, Va. Tech

Notes: Cam Newton is a no-brainer at the top spot.  I think Luck is a special talent who has to be recognized, while Robinson’s yardage was basically the same as Newton’s…he just had fewer touchdowns.

Running Back

1st team: LaMichael James, Oregon

2nd team: Daniel Thomas, Kansas State

3rd team: Mikel LeShoure, Illinois

Honorable Mention:
Jordan Todman, Connecticut
Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State
Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
Knile Davis, Arkansas
Vai Taua, Nevada

Notes: James led the nation in rushing and when healthy is a really special player.  Thomas is the nation’s premier power back, while LeShoure might be the rising star of the bunch.

Fullback

1st team: Charles Clay, Tulsa

2nd team: Vince Murray, Navy

3rd team: Stanley Havili, USC

Honorable Mention
Owen Marecic, Stanford
Fred Munzenmaier, Georgia

Notes: Clay capped an outstanding career with another productive season.  Same goes with Murray and Havili.

Wide Receiver

1st team: Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State; Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina

2nd team: Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma; Greg Salas, Hawaii

3rd team: Juron Criner, Arizona; Kealoha Pilares, Hawaii

Honorable Mention:
Jordan White, Western Michigan
Aldrick Robinson, SMU
Leonard Hankerson, Miami
Torrey Smith, Maryland
Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

Notes: Some tough calls here, but with Blackmon being the no-brainer of the bunch, I had to go with Jeffery for the other spot.  I just see him as being more physically dominant than Broyles, who had an incredible year in his own right.  I’m not so sure that Pilares isn’t better than Salas, but I think they are both future NFL guys.  Criner was the clear standout receiver in the Pac-10.

Tight Ends

1st team: Michael Egnew, Missouri

2nd team: Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin

3rd team: Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette

Honorable Mention
D.J. Williams, Arkansas
Eric Lair, Minnesota
Ted Bolser, Indiana
Orson Charles, Georgia
Joe Halahuni, Oregon State

Notes: Seems like every year there is a Missouri or Wisconsin tight end on this list.  Both Egnew and Kendricks carried on the tradition quite well.  Green is often overlooked, but he had a great year.

Offensive Line Unit

Per HP tradition, we will not choose individual All-Americans on the offensive line.

We refuse to do so because, unlike other people who pick All-Americans, we admit that we have no idea who really are the best offensive linemen.

There are no individual stats to go by. Highlights rarely show what they do. We could go purely off of hearsay, but wouldn’t that be dishonest? What’s more, there are 600 starting offensive linemen in Division One. It’s almost impossible to have seen enough of them to know who is really the best.  So, while other All-American teams choose linemen based almost solely on reputation, we will not.  Instead, we look at a combination of factors, including sacks allowed, rushing offense, tackles for loss allowed, etc., to come up with our All-American unit.

1st team: Oregon

2nd team: Stanford

3rd team: Boise State

Honorable Mention:
Auburn
Michigan
Utah
TCU
Oklahoma State

Notes: Oregon’s offense was dominant for much of the year and that was due, in large part, to the ability of its offensive line to execute Chip Kelly’s spread to perfection.  Stanford’s line was able to both protect the quarterback and run the ball effectively as well as any other unit.  The same can be said for Boise State.

13 Responses to The 2010 HP All-American Team: Offense

1. Alex December 16, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

How in the world does AJ Green not even make the honorable mentions? Comparing AJ and Alshon on a per game basis Green had the same number of catches and 10 fewer yards, while scoring just as many TDs in 5 fewer games. The UGA offense went from 24 PPG without him to 39 PPG with him. The difference against SEC opponents was even more stark, 14 PPG to 38 PPG.

2. AUman76 December 16, 2010 at 11:22 pm #

hey HP? You willing to eat a lil crow and put the Auburn line at #1 when they abuse Oregon? They are the reason Cam Newton won the Heisman. Even with his talent, if not for superior OL play Cam has no trophy and AU isn’t about to embarrass your pac1. You nor fans out there have any idea what the quacky attack is about to get itself into. We beat down defenses in the most talented and physical conference in the nation and you know it. Admitting it is your problem and always will be unless it’s bammer or the Gayterds. Think SECCG against SCe and file it away for 1-10-11. By the way I’m as surprised as anyone at our success this season but alwyas and I mean always have this type year as the goal to strive for.
    By the way did you get to meet and greet Cam? If so what did you think of him as a young man? Leave all the BS aside and give your thoughts on a personal level about Cam. Beleive it or not I’d like to hear your opinion of him but not the situation. As of now enuff has been said and nuthin need be added to the BS about the recruiting issues.

3. AUman76 December 16, 2010 at 11:27 pm #

Alex, I sure as hell ain’t no bammer fan and not exactly happy with the dawgs after this year’s game but Green deserves mention as does Julio Jones. Damn that was hard to admit. lol Darvin Adams will play on sundays too and showed off a lil against USCe in Atlanta but overall his #’s were down some due to Cam spreading the ball around.
    Maybe the NFL will have a lockout and all our Jrs will come back in 2011?

4. brendan December 17, 2010 at 12:46 pm #

I don’t understand why Dane Sanzenbacher hasn’t gotten more hype in the national media. If you watch him, you know his numbers(even though they’re pretty darn good–17 yards per catch and 10 TDs) don’t tell it all. He doesn’t drop passes, he runs perfect routes, and seems to always come up with a catch when it’s needed.

5. Bucknut December 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

I don’t know if you’ve watched Wisconsin’s o-line cause they’re one of the best in the nation. Especially with the tandem of backs they have to boot. And Michigan, you gotta be kidding me.

6. AUman76 December 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm #

Bucknut where you been? I agree with you. Wisky can line up and run it the old fashion way…down your throat. I think TCU is in a lil bit of big trouble. Still amazes me that HP can’t select 5 OL? It’s no more difficult than any other position. Break it down into two G, two T and a C and there it is. Seems simple enough doesn’t it? Hell, even restrict it to a LG,RG,LT,RT and a C.
    Bucky…Arky is a dangerous team and I wouldn’t wanna play em again. They have skilled players out the a$$. If y’all don’t stop Knile you’re in for another long night against an SEC team. This is one of my favorite bowl match ups.

7. Bucknut December 18, 2010 at 7:05 am #

How you doin AUman76? Yeah I hope O-State can “buck” the trend being 0-9 in bowls vs. the SEC. I know one thing about Arkansas. It starts with Mallett and ends with him. They’re gonna have to put pressure on him, cause he can throw. And they have speed. As for Oregon they couldn’t handle Pryor last year and Cam is 100 times better. But still should be a helluva game but I see Auburn winning it. I always love watching the Big 10 and SEC matchups, to me it’s football at it’s best. Anyways hit me up, and I hope you and yours have a safe and happy holiday!

8. notaBadger December 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm #

I can maybe see not putting Wisconsin as the top offensive line but leaving them off completely and including Michigan (!). Against the five common opponents (OSU, Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, and MSU), Wisconsin scored more points in each game than Michigan, even to MSU, to whom they both lost. In total, Wisconsin scored 203 points against 110 scored by Michigan. Wisconsin pushed the OSU line around like little kids. That is the same OSU defensive line that held Michigan to 7 points (and stopped Oregon cold last January). Wisconsin also scored more points on Arizona State than Stanford although admittedly not as many as Oregon. Oh, and Wisconsin offensive tackle (Carimi) just took home the Outland trophy.

9. AUman76 December 18, 2010 at 9:56 pm #

Doin ok Bucky how bout you? Thanls for the warm wishes and the same to you and your family. Football talk and BS opinions aside for a moment…we’re all in this big ol world together and at the end of the day the way we live our lives is far more imortant than a game. Yeah, it’s a great game but life is a far more important test of whether we’re winners or losers. Don’t take my silly Duh OSU stuff serious that’s just stirrin the pot crap and mean lil jabs. I actually respest all schools and their loyal fans. Even….oh Lord this is hard to say…Notre Dame and bammer folks. lol We all have the same love for and of the teams and schools we support. Just wish more people would understand and respect one another. For me, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” is how I really try to live life. Tisn’t always easy but I give it the old college try. Most bammers seem to root aginst us no matter who we play but being a Alabamy born and breed fella I pull for dem SOB’s when not playin my Tigers. Plaese don’t tell em I said that. lmao.

10. Ed Newman December 20, 2010 at 8:05 am #

Like the others here, I am baffled how you can leave the Wisconsin O-Line off this list.

If Wiskey dominates TCU as I expect, it’ll be because the O-Line throws the TCU defensive line around (like they did to OSU).

11. Ryan December 21, 2010 at 9:31 am #

You’re kidding me, by picking the Hawaii receivers over the BSU tandem of Pettis/Young, right? You’re making my eyes bleed.

12. gpo December 22, 2010 at 8:38 am #

Dear Heismanpundit,
    Not a comment about the Heisman trophy here, but one about high school players. I know you are a track guy. I have liked the posts explaining speed and especially the 40 and how it is a worthless time because of the subjective conditions that kids run it under. Like hand times and surfaces. Given that if my kid was a high school football player and he wanted to play in college and he weighed under 250lbs. I would have him run track in the spring. Even if he did not have a chance of doing anything special it would totally be worth it.

At some point the kid would run in a race and get a time in the 100m even in a JV setting. That would be the time I would send off to colleges. There would be no disputing the time. Plus by running track he would get faster.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 2010 HP All-American Team: Defense | Heismanpundit - December 24, 2010

[…] did the offense last week, now for the […]