Is TCU No. 1?

I think a good argument can be made that TCU is the best team in the country.

After seeing the Rose Bowl, there’s no doubt that the Horned Frogs are an extremely well-coached, well-oiled machine on both sides of the ball.  They were able to hold a very disciplined, confident, physical team that had averaged 59 points per game in November to just 19 points.  They were efficient, mistake-free and clutch on offense.  I’m not sure there is, overall, a better-coached team in college football.

This is a team that would match up well with either Oregon or Auburn.  If there is any defense that could stop Cam Newton, or any defense that would be able to stifle Oregon’s scheme, it’s TCU’s.  But would Oregon and Auburn’s defense shut down TCU’s underrated offense led by Andy Dalton?  I’m not so sure.  TCU might have just the right combination in all three phases to shine against the Ducks and Tigers.

The media kept crowing about TCU being one of the little guys, but unlike Boise State, this is a program that has a history and tradition.  It has been in a power conference in the past.  This is just another notch on their belt.  It is clearly ready for the spotlight.

TCU won’t get another chance to prove itself this year and will have to reload again since a ton of key seniors are departing, but Gary Patterson seems to find a way to get it done every year.  They’ll likely finish No. 2 in the country this year, but I don’t think it will be long before TCU is back on this type of stage, but with an even bigger trophy in hand.

12 Responses to Is TCU No. 1?

1. AUman76 January 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm #

First joke of the year from a funny man huh?
    Not NO but HELL NO! You do realize the whole fn big11+1 went 0-5 yesterday don’t you? What did the SEC do to those storied programs? I admit TCU played better than expected but damn…HP, that was Wisconsin from a pitiful weak conference. Do you really believe TCU could’ve stayed on the field with that bammer team you saw? I sure as hell ain’t a bammer boy but they kicked MSU’s ass all over the field and damn neared killed Cousins. He’s a tough sob or he’d still be tryin to find his balls. bammer knocked his dick in the dirt all day and Sparty quit. Auburn was down 24-0 ans came back to win cause we never quit!Wisky is just one duh-mentional offense and it’s obvious they faced less than stellar offenses all season. Their QB wa like a fish outta water when he had to throw and why they aired it out so much is a question I’d like answered. They should’ve stuck to what they do best RUN the fn ball.
    Not sure if you or slayer evans posted this non-sense first but I sure as hell wouldn’t want my named associated with that prick in any way, shape or form.
    No way TCU goes 13-0 in the SEC. They couldn’t even go 13-0 in the big12, 12-0 in the big11+1 or 12-0 in the pac1. Every time a lil guy wins one game against a wannabe big boy all the media types jump on the same love train. Let em beat bammer,LSU,Arky, USCe (twice)Miss St and then get back to me on that one? Let’s see if they can go through any major comference without a loss then I’ll not only jump board, I’ll help push their lil red wagon. Believe it or not I like TCU and am glad they won but knew this silly shit would start after the game. I remember when TCU played bammer way back when and Kent Waldrop (I think that was his name) broke his neck. That one shook up the Bear and I alwqays heard he stayed in contact with the guy. I wish they had joined the big12 and we wouldn’t have to wonder about how good they are. Joining the big least isn’t a real upgrade in competition.
    By the way did you or slayer evans say the same thing about Auburn in 2004 or was USC just that much better in your eyes? Ooops I already know the answer to that don’t I? We didn’t even deserve to be on the same field with USC or Okie before the game now did we? Why? Because we played the Citadale right? Never mind who else we defeated. Where’s our share of the 2004 Trophy? Matter of fact where is USC’s trophy? Same place you and all others think ours will be I suppose?(Lil grin)

2. BESTCOASTWESTCOAST January 2, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

AUMAN76 – just wait for Oregon to whoop on Auburn’s ass, you might want to pop a few vicadins pre game to ease the pain thats coming

3. AUman76 January 2, 2011 at 8:31 pm #

coast is what Auburn will do on the 10th. Your foolish statements quack me up. If you can’t see that ass whupping comin for your ducks then you be the one better pop a few vicadins and chase it with some Jack or beverage of choice. Might wanna share a handful with your lil RB and QB cause Fairley and Company are gonna knock their peckers in the dirt. Good luck pullin you head outta your ass and dealing with reality left coast boy. Gonna be a painful event for your type or maybe it will just slide right out since in all likelyhood it’s already been greased.
    WE are AUBURN, We are Cumming and You are
    FU(KED duck! Quack Quack, CLICK CLICK, BOOM BOOM! Dinner is served.
    Other than that I is skeered to think what ur mi-t ducks is a gunna do to my tiggers. This game is gonna be so one sided it will be comical. Might as well show it on Comedy Central. Think bammer MSU or Miss St and UM. Wait and see what Arky does to duhOSU, gonna be another ugly duckling for your sister conference the lil11+1.

4. AUman76 January 2, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

BY the way I really don’t have to do any talkin my Tigers will walk the walk while we talk the talk. But what the hey…nuthin else to do but wait till game time.
    Truth is nobody knows jack shit about what will happen it’s all speculation on our part but the players do have everything to say about the outcome.

5. Alex January 3, 2011 at 12:09 am #

Yeah, I don’t get this reasoning at all considering how the Big 10 $h!t yesterday. Sure TCU’s win over Wisconsin is still impressive, but we just watched the other team they lost to get beat down 49-7 in a game that wasn’t even as close as that score makes it look. Bama let off the gas and started pulling starters up 35-0 midway through the 3rd, and still managed to stretch their lead to 49-0. 3 other Big 10 teams took losses yesterday. Wisconsin’s dominating performances at the end of the season are starting to look less and less meaningful. Considering that Oregon and Auburn had more impressive regular seasons and that whoever comes out of that game on top will have a more impressive win than TCU’s squeaker over an overrated Wisconsin team, I’m not sure how you could make any sort of case that they deserve to be #1.

6. joey hamm January 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

Co-Champions? If Oregon/Auburn winner had a choice, play TCU or take a title without playing them, they would wuss out. Why? Cuz they know TCU is unbeatable. GP makes these guys into the players they are. GP is not recruiting blue-chippers but making good kids from places like Irving and Carthage, Texas into All-Americans. I say the BCS should rig it to where TCU and the Oregon/Auburn winner are co-champs. It’s not like the NCAA has credibilty to lose …

7. AUman76 January 3, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

hey hamm bone…..if TCU was playin in the title game and won it would you wanna share that with Auburn or Oregon? If you say yes either you’re stoned or lying.
    You really think AU is afraid to play lil ol TCU after goin undefeated in the SEC? Ever heard of the plus one idea? I would love to see my Tigers have a chance to stuff you pie hole with crow after we shoot down the ducks.
    Four strait Crystal Balls and you think a team from the SEC is afraid to play anyone let alone the hornytoads is about as uneducated as a fan can get.
    Get this through your lil skull….I do think your Frogs are a pretty decent team but they would never survive a real conference schedule where you get challenged weekly.Also to make it simple as to why Wisky lost….the lil11+1 sucks! Their top teams can not compete with the SEC’s best and neither can TCU. When you beat Auburn,Alabama,LSU,Arky, Miss St, UF and UGA all in the same season then get bach with me and I’ll give you your due.

8. AUman76 January 3, 2011 at 10:19 pm #

VT looked like Sparty. Taylor couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Just one more terrible matchup made possible by a dumbass BCS as presented by the NCAA. Standford and Arky would have been a better game. Hell….bammer and Stanford would’ve been closer. At least Stanford would have scored a couple of TD’s on bammer’s first team D. Time for a playoff. By the way lil11+1, time to welcome meechagan back cause me thinks Jimbo is headed home.

9. Patrick January 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm #

Wisconsin should have beaten TCU. They blew a dropped pass in the end zone and an easy field goal. They also made a stupid coaching decision to pass for the two points. Wisconsin dominated the time of possession and their Defensive Coach had his head up his butt and did not call any blitzes so the players were handicapped vs TCU’s better coaches. The SEC refs also favored TCU and made some very poor calls to keep drives alive. If even one of these things changes, TCU is 12-1 against very weak competition. Let’s see how good they are next year? Also, yes Michigan and Mich State laid eggs and they stunk it up at the end of the year, but the other teams (Penn State, Northwestern) in the Big Ten barely lost in spite of missing key players like Persa (QB for Northwestern). Had he played, they would have rolled. One of the best QB’s in college football. Illinois and Iowa beat good teams.

10. Frank January 4, 2011 at 10:01 am #

Unfortunately, Patrick, coaches are a part of the team.

11. Kirk January 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

TCU is a very good team with a great coach, but let’s get real. They got lucky to beat the 2nd best team from a really bad Big Ten. After watching that game, I came away thinking if they played 10 times on neutral fields, Wisconsin probably wins 6. Pretty evenly matched overall – Wisconsin clearly has more talent, TCU clearly has better coaching.

TCU might have won the SEC East this year. But they still would have at least 2 losses in conference play, probably 3. (Disclaimer – I’m not an SEC guy).

12. AUman76 January 5, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

Kirk,
    Thanks for the common sense view of this topic. Like I said I like TCU and believe they are a decent teams and play p-u-r-t-y good assignment football. Well coached but lacking a lil on overall talent to compete weekly.
    I am an SEC guy and Auburn will not quit against oregon like most pac1 teams do. Being behind doesn’t alter what we do it just delays the outcome. I’m an older fart that has seen a lot of football and the last AU team with heart like this was the 1972, Punt Bama Punt, squad. Even down 24-0 to bammer we Auburn fans were pissed but not giving up. Just as a football guy and not a homer, Auburn has an offense the likes I’ve never seen. Thet do what it takes to win and the D steps up when needed the most. Gonna be an interesting game but don’t be surprided if Auburn really lays a woodshed whuppin on some daffy ducks.